E-commerce is continuously growing in relevance and influence. 97% of internet users use the internet for shopping related activities. This leads to a need for informative websites and online-shops. Consumers make deliberate purchase decisions. Your brand or online-shop should therefore be as inclusive and helpful as possible. Consumers demand high standards of your e-commerce platform. The following tips will help you boost your e-commerce conversion rate.
#1 Prioritize a pleasant shopping experience at your e-commerce platform
When customers visit your online-shop or website, they are showing interest in your products. This is a great starting line for you as your brand and products were able to get their attention. Surely, you are trying to sell your product but pure persuasion to buy should not be what your online-shop is revolving around. Make the shopping experience as pleasant as possible for your visitors, because this increases your e-commerce conversion rate. This includes the following points:
- Don’t overdo it with pop-ups or persuasive content. Let them shop at their own pace and don’t flood your online-shop with unorganized amounts of content.
- Include multiple filter options. Help customers find what they are really looking for. Let them filter your products regarding price, colors, product categories, styles, occasions, purposes etc. Find the fitting filters for your products and include as many of them as possible.
- Offer similar products they might enjoy when it’s appropriate. Underneath the product overview, the e-commerce platform "Amazon" will present you with other products that are similar to the one you bought or will show you which products were bought together. Be subtle about it but present them with fitting and valuable related products.
- Save the shopping cart. E-commerce can take place anywhere at any time. Someone might be willing to buy but have to leave their hunt for products unfinished – when they return, having to search for all their desired products all over again will most likely make them leave again. Save the shopping cart for as long as possible, making it easier for them to finish their shopping when they have the time.
- Offer multiple payment options. Many customers will choose not to buy from you if all you offer is payment by credit card that requires another fee of $5. Offer multiple payment options from credit cards, to PayPal or instant transfer on your e-commerce platform. This way you are offering your customers flexibility and allowing them to choose their favorite payment option.
#2 Display meaningful content
When visiting an online-shop or website, consumers are searching for useful and valuable insights to help them make their purchase decisions. Therefore, your e-commerce platform should cut through the noise and present the necessary and meaningful information. Consumers do not want to be lied to or persuaded to buy a product. They want to make deliberate decision – help them to achieve this. Possible kinds of content:
- Product reviews from former customers. Consumers trust their peers more than they trust brand content. Offer them the content they are looking for on your own website, proving that you are interested in honest content.
- Showcase detailed product images as well as user-generated content featuring your products. This way, your customers can review multiple unique and different images. This will guarantee the best possible visual information for your customers.
- Include detailed and compressed product information and descriptions. Everyone shops in a different way. Some might want to read full reports about a product, the production process and possible ways of using it. Others on the other hand might be satisfied to review the most important key facts about a product. Make sure to include both possibilities to allow both ways of product research for optimizing your e-commerce conversion rate.
#3 Offer Helpful Customer Service
Your website and online-shop need to answer as many questions as possible. Surely, not every detail or potential scenario can be covered but the basics should most definitely be included. Your customers will value the fact that they can instantly answer the questions they might have during their shopping experience. For other purposes, direct points of contact need to be available on your e-commerce platform.
- Include a section of FAQ on your website and online-shop. Answer the most relevant and common questions regarding shipping, return addresses, payment options etc.
- Make shure you list contact information on your e-commerce platform. Include contact information for purchase related matters, returning policies and other inquiries. Your customers will appreciate the different options to contact you.